Masters Degree in Social Work | University of New England
MSW Degree Home > Why a Masters Degree in Social Work?

Get started today

We value your Privacy

Why a Masters Degree in Social Work?

Social work is a profession for individuals with a strong desire to help improve people’s lives. Social workers assist people by helping them cope with a wide assortment of issues ranging from problems in their everyday lives, to dealing with their relationships, personal, and family problems, disability, health issues, social problems, substance abuse, unemployment, housing, domestic conflicts, and child or spousal abuse. Social workers also play a more administrative role in health and government, championing social justice, conducting research, lobbing for improved social services, designing social systems, and developing policy.

Many professionals are drawn to social work by personal causes, and find their niche specializing in a unique type of practice. An advanced degree in social work can help you find your place as a professional social worker, prepare you for licensure, and open the door to different types of practice.

Child, family and school social workers provide assistance and psychological counseling with the hopes of improving family dynamics, helping children learn, assisting with adoption, supporting the elderly and more. Child, family, and school social workers care passionately about helping the entire family deal with any issues that may arise.

Medical and public health social workers provide support to people, families, and vulnerable populations. They are dedicated to helping clients cope with chronic, acute, or terminal illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, or AIDS. They also advise family caregivers, counsel patients, and help plan for patients’ needs after discharge from hospitals. These social workers they take pride in assisting the recovery process and facilitating understanding during difficult times.

Mental health and substance abuse social workers are committed to helping individuals overcome and treat mental illness or substance abuse problems, including abuse of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs. Such services include individual and group therapy, outreach, crisis intervention, social rehabilitation, and teaching skills needed for everyday living.

Other types of social workers include social work administrators, planners, and policymakers, who develop and implement programs to address issues such as child abuse, homelessness, substance abuse, poverty, and violence. These workers research and analyze policies, programs, and regulations. They identify social problems and suggest legislative and other solutions. They may help raise funds or write grants to support these programs.

The University of New England’s School of Social Work was created with the goal of educating and training a new generation of passionate and caring social workers. Regardless of what field of social work you plan to focus on, UNEs Master of Social Work online option prepares you with the advanced knowledge and skills you’ll need to make a difference in the lives of people in need.

POSTED BY: ec_admin - November 16th, 2009 at 11:13pm ( 0 )


    Brittney - March 7th, 2012 at 08:05pm

    Hello, I have my bachelors in social work and I am currently seeking to begin my matrculation in a MSW online advance standing program. I notice that your description says it may take up to 2 year to complete the coursework. My question is, is it possible to complete the Advance Standing Program in 1 year?

    Reply to this comment

      Jessica Swindal - March 24th, 2012 at 06:41pm

      I am wondering the same thing as Brittney…do you offer advance standing?

      Reply to this comment

        UNE Admissions - May 23rd, 2012 at 09:08pm

        Thank you for your comment. Yes, we do offer Advanced Standing that is completed in two years and one semester as a part time program. Please contact your Enrollment Advisor for more information on the program and the application.

        Reply to this comment

    Nicole - March 9th, 2012 at 08:44pm

    After completing this program, will one be able to sit for the LCSW exam? Is this program recognized and accepted by APA board?

    Reply to this comment

    Cellette - March 16th, 2012 at 10:08pm

    What is the deadline to submit my application if I wish to start in the fall of 2012?

    Reply to this comment

      UNE Admissions - May 23rd, 2012 at 09:14pm

      Hi Cellette,

      For the upcoming Fall term, the early acceptance deadline is July 11th and the final deadline is August 1st.

      Reply to this comment

    Ananda - March 28th, 2012 at 06:03pm

    My question is how much will it cost to complete the traditional 4 year plan for an MSW here?

    Reply to this comment

    Rachael - April 3rd, 2012 at 06:42pm


    I am wondering if it is possible to complete the MSW from another country? I live in Switzerland.

    Thank you,

    Reply to this comment

    Kiyah - April 13th, 2012 at 05:48pm

    I have an undergraduate GPA of 2.98 and a graduate GPA of 3.5. My B.A. is in social science. I have always wanted to be a social worker and wanted to know if my undergrad GPA disqualifies me from this program. Any help would be appreciated.

    Reply to this comment

    Alison - May 22nd, 2012 at 02:16am

    Are all of the courses online, or is it necessary to be on campus for some part of the program? Do you offer both synchronous and asynchronous classes?

    Reply to this comment

      UNE ADMISSIONS - June 29th, 2012 at 02:25pm

      Hi Alison,

      All courses are online. There are no campus visits required. The only portion that would not be online would be your field practicum hours which you would be able to complete in your local area.
      You can log on and complete your work any time of day, so you can fit your coursework into your schedule.
      Please contact your Enrollment advisor at 877-863-6791.

      Reply to this comment

    Leah - June 18th, 2012 at 06:25pm

    I am wondering how much will it cost to complete the 4 year program and if financial is applicable here since it is online? Also, I graduated with a BA that was not in social work,but with a GPA above 3.0 (Cum Laude), but have worked in the social work field for 12 years supervised by LICSW, am I able to do the Advanced Standing Option? I know that I would be eligible to apply for a license for I believe LSA based on my experiences and references.

    Reply to this comment

      UNE ADMISSIONS - June 29th, 2012 at 01:49pm

      Hi Leah,

      Please contact your enrollment advisor at 877-863-6791 for more information.

      Reply to this comment

    Stephanie - July 1st, 2012 at 02:53pm

    I have not taken a class in Biology and would like to know where is this class offered. I am very interested in obtaining my MSW in Social Work.

    Reply to this comment

    cheryl - July 10th, 2012 at 06:04pm

    I will receive my bachelors in Community Human Service will I be able to apply for the advanced standing for the MSW program?

    Reply to this comment

    Rose - July 12th, 2012 at 10:45pm

    I have a Bachelors’ degree in Human Services Child and Family Welfare, I want to pursue my MSW. Would I be eligible for the Advance Standing Program?

    Reply to this comment

Post A Comment